Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Deadline Dinners!

I’ve decided to go in a different direction with my blog posts and offer something practical to all the busy people out there. One of my passions is food, and I know how to put a quick delicious meal on the table every night—even when I’m on a book or article deadline. Another of my passions is parenting, and I know how stressful trying to nurture a family can be.

Everyone has to eat, and I'd like to help make the job of meal prep easier for busy parents. So over the next several months, I’m going to post recipes my family enjoyed when my daughters were growing up. If you have one you’d like me to try, please e-mail it to me at Debby@DebbyMayne.com.

I'm a big believer in experimenting and substituting one ingredient for another, so if you feel like adding or switching something out, give it a try! I cook with a lot of salad dressings and soups that come in low-sodium, low-fat, and low-sugar varieties. In most cases, it doesn't make much difference in the outcome.

Super Simple Mock Swiss Steak

Ingredients:
• Cooking spray
• Whatever steak you can find on sale – enough for everyone in the family
• 1 bottle of Catalina, Russian or dark French salad dressing
• 1 cup of water
• 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
• 1 sliced onion (optional)

Directions:
1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
2. On medium-high heat, brown the steak on both sides.
3. If you like onions, add them to the skillet and sauté them until they are translucent.
4. Dump the entire bottle of Catalina, Russian or French salad dressing over the steak.
5. Pour 1 cup of water and a dash (or two) of Worcestershire sauce over the dressing and stir until the liquids are blended.
6. Turn down the heat and simmer until the steak is done according to your taste. I generally cook thinner cuts of meat about 15 minutes and thicker cuts up to 30 minutes.

Serve with rice and steamed green beans.

*Helpful hint: If you purchase a tougher cut of meat, this recipe can be cooked all day in a slow cooker, which helps tenderize the meat.

2 comments:

CatMom said...

YUM!! I plan to try this recipe Debby! Thanks for sharing (and I'm so glad you'll be blogging about food). Hugs, Patti Jo :)

Debby Mayne said...

Hey, Patti Jo! I love food, and I have so little time to cook anymore. I figured most people are in the same boat. Let me know if you like the recipe after you try it.

How are you feeling?