Snacking is one way I keep from getting ravenous or having too many cravings. Here are a few healthy snacks that help keep me on track:
- Fruit and nut trail mix - You can make this with dried fruits and your favorite nuts, or you can purchase it already made. Just check the ingredient list to make sure it doesn't have too much added sugar.
- Fruit slices - You can dip apples, pears, or oranges in peanut butter or vanilla flavored yogurt for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Baked tortilla strips - Cut a tortilla into strips, bake until crisp, and dip in hummus. Yum!
- Vegetable chips - Slice zucchini, summer squash, or beets into thin strips, spray them with olive oil or cooking spray, salt lightly, and bake until crisp. Dip in yogurt or hummus.
- Vegetable and fruit smoothies - My favorite one is green.
- Peanut butter and chocolate - Yes, you can enjoy one of your favorite flavor combinations if you do it sparingly. Spread 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter on 2 squares of dark chocolate. Enjoy!