Monday, January 20, 2014

Some of My Favorite Smoothie Ingredients

I make a health smoothie everyday. Most of the time I include at least one vegetable, one fruit, flax meal, and some form of protein. I don't follow a recipe. I just dump whatever I have into my NutriBullet and hope for the best. Whenever possible I use frozen fruit so I don't have to add ice that waters down the treat. I also prefer organic produce most of the time. If you need to sweeten your drink, use honey, agave, or stevia.

Here's a list of ingredients I typically use – but not all at the same time:
  • Frozen mixed berries
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Frozen pineapple chunks
  • Apples
  • Oranges
  • Kiwis
  • Avocado
  • Kale
  • Carrots
  • Beets
  • Greek yogurt
  • Walnuts
  • Peanuts
  • Raw oats
  • Any type of fruit juice
  • Coconut water
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg

 If color is important to you, avoid combining two things that will turn brown or gray when blended (red and green, purple and orange, or purple and green). For a purple drink, I'll use blueberries, pineapple, carrots, nuts, and grape juice. If I'm in the mood for something orange, I'll combine oranges, carrots, yogurt, and coconut water. Mix kiwi, avocado, kale, walnuts, and apple juice for a beautiful green drink. Season with cinnamon or nutmeg for an extra boost of flavor and nutrition.

No comments: