Monday, January 9, 2017

How to Get Ready for the Day in 10 Minutes

I don't know a single woman who isn't super busy, so I thought I'd share some secrets to getting ready in a hurry. Keep in mind that this is after the shower and doesn't involve blowing dry your hair. I chose not to add those things because everyone has different needs, depending on hair length, skin types, and whether or not you shave your legs that day.

Quick Makeup

I'm able to put my makeup on in 5 to 10 minutes, depending on where I'm going and the environment. During the hot summer months I typically wear less because I don't like the feeling of it dripping down my face. In the winter, I slather on a lot of moisturizer under my makeup.

I start with foundation, dot a few specks of concealer under my eyes, and smooth it out with a damp makeup sponge. I dust a little blush on my cheeks, line my eyes with a smudge liner, and then put on one or two coats of mascara. Since my eyebrows are so light, I lightly fill them in with eyebrow pencil and brush them out with an eyebrow brush that resembles a toothbrush (what I used before I found a good one for the brows). After I add my lipstick, I'm good to go for the day. For special occasions, I use eyeshadow and add another coat of mascara.

Super Simple and Quick Hair

Next thing I do is style my hair. Since my hair is so dry, I went from washing it daily to every three days. It took some getting used to, but I think it's healthier and much easier to style. I have shoulder-length hair that's long enough for a small ponytail because I think it's much easier to handle than uber-long hair or a super short cut. Most of the time I wear it down, unless I'll be outdoors in the blazing-hot sun for a while. Then up it goes. I get it trimmed every couple of months to prevent it from looking fried.

Quick Outfit

Getting dressed is always quick for me because I typically wear jeans and a casual top. However, if I have to get a little more dressed up, I choose my outfit (clothes, jewelry, and other accessories) the night before. That way I don't always feel as though I'm running behind.

If you've embraced the capsule wardrobe concept, you'll save even more time. I haven't gone that far with paring down my wardrobe yet, but maybe I will one of these days. Most people who embrace this minimalist trend stick to a couple of neutrals and a color so all the pieces go with each other.

Here are some pieces in a typical capsule wardrobe:

  • 2-3 pairs of slacks
  • 1-2 skirts
  • 1-2 dresses
  • 2-4 T-shirts
  • 1 white blouse
  • 1-2 jackets or blazers
  • 1 pair of jeans
  • 1 pair neutral flats
  • 1 pair neutral pumps
  • 1 pair booties (ankle boots)
  • 1 pair warm winter boots for colder climates
  • 1 pair athletic shoes
There are other variations of the capsule wardrobe, depending on personal style and climate. The key is to have versatile pieces you can mix and match without having to constantly go out and buy something new. If you like this idea, make sure you purchase high-quality items that will last. You can also create more outfits if you enjoy accessories such as scarves and statement necklaces.

Organizing

The most important thing you can do to get ready quickly is to organize. Have your makeup organized so you can reach for what you need without having to search dig around items that you don't like or are out of date. You can find trays and cups for separating your eyeshadows from your lipsticks.

Whether you have a traditional or capsule wardrobe, have all of your clothes organized in the best way for you. I have all of my tops lined up according to color and style. Next are my pants, with the lightest color on the left and the darkest on the right. I use velvet-coated hangers to keep my slippery silks from falling to the floor.

No comments: