Friday, September 5, 2014

Healthful Eating and Fun Reading

I'm a foodie. I love almost all foods, especially if it's heavily seasoned and fresh. Most of my favorite foods are ethnic, with Indian, Japanese, Thai, Mexican, and Cajun being at the top of the list.

Something else that's important to me is to consume as many fruits and vegetables as I possibly can each day, which is one of the reasons I love to make smoothies. When I make them for myself, I don't worry about the color of the finished product. I just toss a bunch of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies into my blender or NutriBullet, add a little liquid (almond milk, coconut water, or fruit juice), and pulverize it so I can drink it on the run.

Here's an example of a smoothie recipe that's packed with nutrients:
  • 1 cup raw organic kale
  • 1/2 cup raw organic baby carrots
  • 1/2 cup raw organic cauliflower
  • 4 large frozen organic mixed berries
  • 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
  • 1 cup coconut water

Blend on high until the consistency is smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Delicious red smoothie
Photo courtesy of Alvimann/Morguefile.com
____

When I make smoothies for my husband, I try to stay with a color group - green, orange, red, or purple - to make it more appetizing. When I use kale, I'll add kiwi and pineapple for a rich green color. For orange, I'll add carrots, peach slices, and apple juice. Red usually consists of strawberries, carrots, beets, and coconut water. For purple, I use blueberries, a small amount of kale, cauliflower, and grape juice.
____

Here are links to some other delicious recipes you might want to try:
____

While you're enjoying your smoothie, check out some of my books on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You can order them in paperback, or if you're eager to start reading, download them to your Kindle or Nook.

No comments: