Monday, September 16, 2013

Spa Day at Home


For anyone who enjoys being pampered, a day at the spa is fun and relaxing. However, it's not always possible to do that. Whether it's money, time, or distance holding you back, there is an alternative. Try a spa day at home. With a few inexpensive products and some items you're likely to have around the house, you can give yourself a quick pick-me-up and be ready for whatever you have to deal with later.

Facials

I frequently do facials, but I like to vary them according to what my skin seems to need. Here are some things I do:
  • When my skin is dry – I mix 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1/2 avocado (eat the other half for internal health). I slather that over a clean face, place a chilled cucumber slice over each eye, and lie down for about 20 minutes. It's easy to rinse off, and you'll feel moisturized and refreshed afterward.
  • When my skin needs tightening – I separate the yolk from the white of an egg and discard the yolk. Then I smooth the remaining egg over my face (avoiding the under eye area) and lie down. It takes about 10-15 minutes for the egg to dry. After that happens, remain lying down for another 15-20 minutes before rinsing your face. Your skin should feel tighter for several days.
  • When my skin is rough or dull – I use my Neutrogena microdermabrasion gizmo that you can purchase at almost any drugstore. Afterward, I always moisturize with a cream that has extra nutrients.


Achy Feet

At the end of a long day—particularly one when I've done a lot of standing—I like to soak my feet in Epsom salts. I don't know why those little crystals work, but they do. I generally sleep much better that night.

Achy Back

Like most people who sit at their computers for hours on end, my back often feels tight or achy by mid-afternoon. I have discovered several things that help:
  • Fitness ball – Sit on an inflated but squishy fitness ball with your feet flat on the floor in front of you and do a gentle bounce for about 5 minutes. This helps strengthen your core. Here is an example of a more advanced way to do this: Ball Bounce Intermediate Warmup.
  • Inversion table – I like to hang upside-down on my TeeterHang-Ups inversion table once or twice a day. It helps realign my spine and relieves the pressure.
  • Vibration or Shiatsu massaging cushions – I lean my back against a cushion that vibrates for about 15-20 minutes most nights. That increases the circulation to the area and promotes healing. I've had one made by Homemedics in the past, but now I'm using one by Dr. Scholl's. They're inexpensive and can be found in most big-box stores and some drugstores.
  • T.E.N.S unit – I use the Aurawave T.E.N.S. unit that delivers electrical current to my muscles. These little gizmos are amazing and provide relief that lasts for hours and sometimes days.


Achy Body

If I ache all over, I pull out the bath salts and dump a bunch of it into a tub of very warm water. If you don't have bath salts, use your Epsom salts instead. Then climb in and lie back for a few minutes. You should feel the tension fade away. For an extra treat, sip cold beverage while you soak. After you get out and dry off, slather your body with your favorite moisturizer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spa days are great but you're right in saying that not everyone has the freedom to spend hours away from home or work just to get a massage or facial. That said, thank you for sharing these recipes for homemade treatments! Do you have any recipes for body scrubs? -Lilia @ La Fleur de Beaute