Monday, February 24, 2014

Moving is Hard Work!

My husband and I are in the middle of a major move so we can be closer to our daughters and their families. I love the house we're leaving, and I enjoy the weather in Florida, but the heartstrings are tugging us toward the Carolinas.

Fortunately, I didn't listen to people who teased me about packing so early. Many of them said, "Don't worry so much about it. You know it'll get done." Well, yeah, it will get done, but that's only because I started packing early.

Here are some of my tips for future moves:

  • Start collecting boxes when you first start thinking about moving. 
  • It's never too early to start packing.
  • Resign yourself to begging grocery stock clerks for bottled water boxes because they're super sturdy.
  • Find your closest U-Haul store and purchase boxes for lampshades and hanging clothes.
  • Accept the fact that you'll be using dozens of rolls of packing tape.
  • When you stop using something, donate it, recycle it, or throw it away. You don't want to have that on your busy schedule while you're trying to move.
  • If you can fit it into your budget, hire someone to pack your things and go have a massage.
  • If you can't afford to hire someone to pack you, get it done as early as possible and then go have a massage.


No comments: