Monday, February 7, 2011

Easy Baklava Recipe!

In honor of my book, Sweet Baklava, that will be released on March 1, I would like to share a super simple baklava recipe. I have a more complicated recipe in the book, but until you get it, try making this one. They're both delicious!














-
Ingredients:

• Cooking spray
• 1 lb chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
• 1 cup melted butter
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:

1. Spray a 9” x 13” pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix cinnamon and nuts in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Cover the bottom of the pan with phyllo and brush with melted butter.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nut mixture on top.
5. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
6. Finish with 3 or 4 layers of phyllo.
7. Cut the baklava into squares, rectangles, or triangles.
8. Bake in a 350 degree oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.
9. Mix the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the honey and vanilla and reduce the heat. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
10. After you remove the baklava from the oven, slowly pour the sugar, honey and water mixture over it.
11. Cool the baklava and serve.



-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy!!!!! I've been so busy, I still haven't had the chance to make this, but I think I will this weekend!

CatMom said...

Mmmmm....Thanks for sharing this recipe, Debby! I'm going to need to start an entire file of "Debby Recipes" LOL!! Hugs, Patti Jo :)