Thursday, December 27, 2012

Staying Healthy is Not a Spectator Sport


Jzlomek/Morguefile.com

After watching people I love suffer from a wide range of medical issues, I’ve come to realize that getting and staying healthy requires effort…lots of it. That’s one of the reasons I’ve taken such a keen interest in fitness, nutrition, and how the body functions. I want to be as healthy as possible, even if it means a few sacrifices.  

Now I’m working on balancing everything regarding my health. I want to work out, but I don’t want it to take all my free time. Going to the gym seemed like a good thing, until I realized I spent an extra hour getting ready, driving there, finding a parking spot, signing in, and then driving back home. So I’m back to walking, only I increased my daily distance from 2 miles to 3-1/2 or 4 miles.

People who know me well know that I’m not very good at sitting still, which can be a problem for a person who makes a living as a writer. So what I do is write for a half hour, get up and move around a bit, then go back to my writing for another half hour. I do this throughout my day until time to cook dinner.

I enjoy eating cake and cookies, but a piece of fruit tastes just as good (at least that’s what I have to tell myself). If I still want something that isn’t super healthy, I might indulge, but only a little. Two squares of dark chocolate will satisfy my sweet tooth if I nibble very slowly. When I’m in a Reece’s mood, I smear a smidge of natural peanut butter on the chocolate.

I’m always on the lookout for more helpful tidbits to stay healthy. Now my goal is to get through the rest of the holidays without stumbling. 

No comments: