Thursday, February 28, 2013

Drab to Fab - Julie Pollitt's Yard

Julie Pollitt


I've seen Julie and John Pollitt's yard, and it is the jewel of their neighborhood! Great job, John (Julie's husband)! I think the Bloomfield Garden Club would unanimously agree to give you the "Yard of the Month" award!


Here's what Julie has to say:


I’ve never had much of a green thumb. Thankfully, I married a great guy with the knack for gardening and landscaping. He turned our bland yard into the neighborhood beauty.
Backyard - after
Backyard - before

We went years without a stitch of grass. We’d send our kids out into the dirt abyss, forcing them to make a trip to the bath each time they came back in the house. I’ve learned in my few short years of living in Florida we’re on one large sand pile.

A couple years ago, my husband John, and his nephew Matt, added a gorgeous layer of sod to the yard, turning it into a carpet of lush, green happiness. John went the extra mile and added a large variety of low-maintenance shrubs and flowers. Although several of the plants were sold as annuals, I was surprised to see them bloom again this year.

Before planting, he mapped out the yard and created a garden area in front of the house, tilled the soil and planted the flora, finishing it off with a layer of mulch. Some of the plants include:
  • Vincas
  • Pentas
  • Variegated Snow Queens
  • Crepe Myrtles 

John asked me to find a couple of planters to place by the front door and add flowers, giving the outside entryway a pop. With an occasional watering, they stay happy in their pots.
He added a bushel of Mexican Petunias around the mailbox, and with bi-annual pruning, they thicken and grow. A Red Bird of Paradise sits a few feet away, which requires almost no maintenance. The deep red pod bursts open to reveal a vibrant yellowish, orange flower that stands out in any garden. It’s so beautiful that I get requests for the seeds each year.
With a little planning and a bit of care, John created a masterpiece that turns heads and slows down cars.

Visit Julie at her website: Julie Pollitt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an inspirational and beautiful transformation! Thank you for sharing. Beth Dolezal Teller

Cherie Burbach said...

Julie,

Beautiful yard! Any chance you want to come up north for a visit and fix up my yard? LOL

Debby Mayne said...

Happy birthday, Julie!

Julie Pollitt said...

Thank you Beth and Cherie! I would love to come up north and get some snow! I will pass on the compliment.

Thank you Debby, it has been a fun day!