Thursday, March 7, 2013

Class Reunion - Kathi Macias

Kathi Macias
When I asked Kathi Macias to share her class reunion story, she gave me a bonus. Now I'd love to see her show off her salsa dancing skills!

Here's what Kathi said:


I’ve attended only a couple high school reunions, neither of which was memorable. We women were carrying a few more pounds and the guys a bit less hair, but otherwise nothing earth-shaking beyond the disappointment of not being able to have meaningful catch-up conversations because the music was too loud. But the Tortilla Flats Reunion? Now that was a different story.

My husband and I were both born and raised in Ventura, California, and we’ve known one another since we were kids. We grew up just a few blocks apart, though my Latino husband was born in the oldest part of town, Tortilla Flats. He doesn’t remember living there, as his family moved a few miles away while he was still a baby, but every time we hear of another Tortilla Flats Reunion in Ventura, we make a point to try to attend.

We love the events because they’re centered around family and nostalgia—and lots of good Mexican food. It’s a blessing to reconnect with old friends and reminisce with various generations. It also gives me a great opportunity to practice my salsa dancing! One thing we’ve noticed in particular lately—while we once fit in with the young adult crowd and then the middle-agers, we are now slipping into the senior citizen bunch, which is thinning out each year. All the more reason to attend while we can! And we will continue to do so as long as we are able.

Visit Kathi at her website: KathiMacias.com.

2 comments:

Kathi Macias said...

May I add that I love salsa dancing SO much that at family reunions and/or get-togethers, my husband, sons, grandsons and nephews refuse to make eye contact with me when the music starts. They know I'll drag them out there on the dance floor and wear them out. LOL!

Martha W. Rogers said...

What fun, Kathi. We love to attend the reunions for my husband's high school class in Banks, Arkansas. They had about nine in the class and oh the stories they told on each other. We've become good friends with the couples and visit whenever we're in Arkansas.
It's sad as we grown older and members begin to pass on. Makes it even more important as you said, Kathi, to visit as long as we're able.