Kathi Macias, author of Bloomfield's Last Chance for Justice, shares her apple pie recipe that looks absolutely scrumptious!
Mama’s Flat Apple Pie
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 handfuls flake-type cereal (i.e., corn flakes)
- 8-10 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
|Photo courtesy of Messa/Morguefile.com|
- Blend together flour, shortening and salt.
- Add egg yolks to milk and mix with fork.
- Add yolk mixture to flour mixture.
- Divide the dough and roll out half of it for the bottom crust to fit a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the bottom crust with cereal.
- Peel and thinly slice apples and spread evenly over the bottom crust.
- Sprinkle mixture with sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour juices over apples and dot with margarine.
- Roll out the top crust and place over the apples, sealing the edges.
- Cut small slits in the top crust.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and spread over top crust.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown
Purchase Kathi's latest Bloomfield book here: Last Chance for Justice.
Visit her website: Kathi Macias.