Thursday, July 11, 2013

Skin Care at Home


One of the things I appreciate about people in the beauty business is that most of them do their best to help us look as good as we possibly can. That's what Priscilla did with Celeste in Pretty Is as PrettyDoes. However, we can't go to our favorite aesthetician every single day, so I've found some things that help me when I'm on my own.

Here are a few skin care tips that have worked for me:
  • Remove all makeup before going to bed.
  • Moisturize with a product designed for the face and under-eye area. I like my moisturizers to contain antioxidants and skin-replenishing ingredients.
  • Eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables – the more colorful the better.
  • Occasionally do a facial scrub. I tried doing them everyday, but my skin started burning, so I do them weekly.
  • Splash cold water on your face to make the pores appear smaller and to wake up your skin.
  • Use the highest SPF your skin can handle and try to keep the direct sun off your face. I live in Florida, so that's not always easy.
  • If you still get wrinkles and laugh lines, in spite of all this, embrace them. They show that you have lived life and smiled a lot. And that's a good thing, right?


I wear makeup most days, but I don't always have a lot of time to spend in front of the mirror. If you are a busy woman, pick just a few items that can enhance your natural beauty. Unless you have large spots, don't try to cover up or hide anything. It generally doesn't work.

How to do a 5-minute face:
  • Start with a moisturizer right after you wash your face. Do something else while it absorbs.
  • Apply a light coat of moisturizer with a sponge or your fingertips.
  • Conceal only the areas that the moisturizer doesn't cover.
  • Depending on the products you use, you may want to set the foundation with a light dusting of powder. I use a big powder brush.
  • Apply a very thin line of eyeliner at the base of the top lashes. When I have time, I also do this on the bottom, but I have to have a very steady hand so the line doesn't become thick and too dramatic.
  • Apply a single coat of mascara. I use black, but I think blue or purple look nice on some people.
  • A quick dusting of a powder blush keeps me looking alive.
  • If you have sparse eyebrows or very light ones as I do, use an eyebrow pencil or powder to enhance them. Tweezing eyebrows can be tricky, so follow these tips to keep from overdoing the plucking: Proper way to tweeze.
  • Apply lipstick (preferably with a brush). If you have uneven lip lines, use a lip liner first, but keep it as close to your lip color as possible. The days of obvious lip liner have passed, and you don't want to look outdated.
  • Take one last look in the mirror, fix whatever needs fixing, and you're all done.

Just remember that it isn't the moisturizer or makeup that makes you beautiful. It's your faith, your attitude, and how you treat others. Enjoy your day!

No comments: