Friday, August 15, 2014

Thoughts About Loss

When I heard the news about Robin Williams yesterday, I felt like someone had knocked me over and kicked me in the chest. He was the funniest improvisational comedian I knew of. Yes, some of his humor was more risqué than I'm comfortable with, but he did enough other work that I was able to look past what I didn't care for.

Do you remember the first time you ever saw him? My first Robin Williams experience was when he was on the show "Mork and Mindy." I was instantly spellbound as was most of America. Who was this guy? He had the amazing ability to improvise and take a sort-of-funny situation to a whole new level. Although I never saw the man in person, over time, I felt as though I knew him. He was familiar. I knew what I was getting when I saw one of his movies or watched him on a talk show. I'm sad that he won't be around to create more great comedy, but at least we have him on film. He leaves behind a mountain of work that won't let us forget this brilliant man.

As we go through life, we all lose friends and family members, but it's never easy. People want to console us, and when our friends lose a loved one, we try to comfort them. As the etiquette writer for About.com, people often ask me how to express sympathy. I've written quite a few articles regarding etiquette for funerals.

Here are some articles that might help if you aren't sure what to do or say after someone passes:



I've also selected some articles by other About.com writers that you may want to read:



One of the things I plan to do over the next several weeks is celebrate the life of Robin Williams by watching some of my favorite movies he was in. Here are some I like:

  • Popeye
  • Good Morning, Vietnam
  • Hook
  • Mrs. Doubtfire
  • Dead Poets Society
  • The Birdcage
  • Good Will Hunting

No comments: