Monday, June 10, 2013

Happy National Yo-Yo Day!

There's something about the Yo-Yo that makes me smile. Perhaps it brings back memories of my childhood when the Duncan Yo-Yo was the rage. I played with my pink sparkling light-up Yo-Yo until I mastered the baby in the cradle, the sleeper, and pop-the-clutch moves. When my own children came along, it had lost some of its appeal, and they didn't get what I thought was so cool about it.
Photo courtesy of Mzacha/Morguefile.com

Maybe if I'd added a power button and some sounds it would have been more interesting. Or if it had a keyboard or camera, they might have seen some value in it. The basic Yo-Yo - a couple of round plastic pieces that went up and down on a string - could be seen as something silly and boring. Or perhaps it's a piece of Americana that will forever live in the hearts and minds of people who remember a simpler time. Am I starting to sound like my grandmother? Eek!

No comments: