Monday, June 24, 2013

Staying Fit


As someone who always worked out, I know the value of staying fit. It's not always easy, but being active is essential to live a long, healthy life. Writing is such a sedentary profession, so I have to plan my fitness everyday. Fortunately I don't have to nag my husband to get out of his chair because he's rarely in it. After he retired from being a financial advisor, he became a certified personal fitness trainer, and he also works as a golf coach for the First Tee program.

You don't have to pay an expensive membership fee at a gym, although if that's what it takes to get you active, by all means go for it. However, if you don't want to spend the money, there are things you can do that cost little or nothing.

Here are some ideas:
  • Go for long walks and enjoy the sounds and smells of nature.
  • Pick up a fitness DVD by your favorite exercise expert and set aside the time each day to work out in front of your TV.
  • Jump on a rebounder (mini trampoline) while you watch the shows you recorded the night before. You'll feel like a kid again.
  • Go to the mall before the stores open and walk back and forth until you reach your daily distance goal.
  • Download your favorite upbeat music and dance around your house.

5 comments:

Cherie said...

Ooh, I like the suggestion about dancing around the house!

science fiction writer said...

Learn some Tai Chi or Karate forms, which you can do anywhere in the house. You can do them slowly and continuously. They exercise the entire body.

Debby Mayne said...

Great suggestion, Rick! Thanks!

CatMom said...

Very good reminders, Debby! ~ Although I have to be extra careful (due to my re-built spine) I do enjoy putting music on and dancing in my house (when no one is here except me and the cats, LOL). Of course, sometimes my cats look at me like I'm crazy, and then I end up laughing! But I figure at least I'm getting a little exercise.
Hugs, Patti Jo :)

Debby Mayne said...

Patti Jo, I'm pretty sure that laughter counts as abdominal exercise.