Naomi is known for cooking delicious meals and hiding extra vegetables that can’t easily be detected. Her motto: No one has to know they’re eatin’ healthy food as long as they enjoy it.
Naomi’s Company-Favorite Lasagna
• 1 lb. ground beef
• 1 16-oz. can tomato sauce
• 1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
• 2 T. fresh oregano
• 2 T. fresh basil
• 2 cups ricotta cheese
• 2 steamed zucchinis from the garden
• 15 dry lasagna noodles
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray baking dish with cooking spray or coat with oil to prevent sticking.
3. Reserve ½ cup of the tomato sauce and set it aside.
4. Pour the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into a medium bowl.
5. Brown the ground beef. Add it to the tomato sauce.
6. Slice and steam the zucchini until tender. Pulverize it in the food processor so it can’t be detected. Add it to the tomato sauce.
7. Chop the fresh oregano and basil finely. Add it to the tomato sauce. Mix well.
8. Cover the bottom of the dish with the reserved tomato sauce and place the first layer of 3 noodles over that.
9. Cover the noodles with 1/2 cup of the tomato-beef-zucchini mixture.
10. Layer with 3 noodles.
11. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta cheese over the noodles.
12. Layer with 3 noodles.
13. Cover the noodles with 1/2 the remainder of the tomato-beef-zucchini mixture.
14. Layer with 3 noodles.
15. Spread the remaining half of the ricotta cheese over the noodles.
16. Layer with 3 noodles.
17. Pour the remainder of the tomato-beef-zucchini mixture on top.
18. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
19. Remove foil and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top.
20. Place the dish back in the oven for approximately 2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
21. Allow it to stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Photo courtesy of Seeman at Morguefile.com.