One of the most satisfying ways for a new gardener to get started is to grow herbs. Not only are they easy to maintain, you will wow your family and friends with the rich flavors from fresh herbs.
• Most herbs need at least five hours of sunlight, so choose a sunny window or patio location that gets full sun.
• Make sure your containers have holes in the bottom for drainage.
• Potting mix is ideal for container-grown herbs.
• Water frequently. Once the soil is dry below the surface, it’s time to add more water.
• Most potting mixes have some fertilizer, so read the label. Fertilize with about half the strength recommended for houseplant fertilizer. Since the flavor of herbs comes from their leaves, don’t use a fertilizer designed to promote the growth of flowers.
• If you add more than one type of herb to a pot, make sure they all require the same growing conditions.
Photo courtesy of Morguefile.com.