When our children were younger, every Friday evening was pizza night. Sometimes we rented a movie, and other times we let our daughters invite their friends to spend the night. Pizza night made my life easier, but after the girls grew up and moved out, I realized I wasn’t much of a pizza fan anymore. I didn’t care for the chewy crust or greasy toppings. However, my husband still wasn’t ready to completely give it up. So I came up with a healthier version that we both enjoy.
Ingredients (per person):
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1/2 cup canned organic crushed tomatoes
- Dash of oregano
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat cheese or non-dairy cheese shreds
- 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped vegetables (bell peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, etc.)
- Spoon the crushed tomatoes over the tortilla.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with oregano.
- Top with vegetables and cheese.
- Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 oven until the cheese melts and the tortilla is brown around the edges.