Friday, November 26, 2010

Moist Leftover Turkey

If you’re like most people, you have enough turkey left over to have several more meals of turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey hash, or any of a number of delicious dishes. One of the biggest complaints I hear is that turkey becomes dry after refrigerating or freezing it. That isn’t necessary if you’ll just take a few minutes to steam the leftover turkey before putting it away for another time.

Here’s a simple method I use:
• Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with approximately 1/2 inch of water. You may add 1 cup of turkey stock for additional flavor.
• Layer the sliced turkey in the pan.
• Cover the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil.
• Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes.
• Remove the turkey from the oven and let it cool before sealing it in zip-lock bags.
• You may refrigerate the turkey, and it will be good for up to 3 days or you may freeze it for up to six weeks.



-

1 comment:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Sounds yummy! I'll need to keep this in mind for the future! I had dinner at my parents' house and my dad actually purchased a small turkey this year, just enough for the family. There were very few leftovers and my mom was glad about that! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! :-)